Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rumor Has It

So I was going through my update before going into college. And I found it very funny to think I actually ever imagined that dorm living would be a fabulous, spacious place.. Being that I am paying a fortune to go there. So in some reflection of my pure naivety, I thought I would clear up some myths for future college goers.

1. Dorm living is not spacious. At all. Whatsoever. Cherish your room at home- your own bed, dresser, desk, alone time, door to slam in anger, and quiet area. In college, this doesn't exist. Me and my roommates have moved our room around, I would say, 5 gazillion times, hoping that our room will grow by MAYBE an inch or two. It doesn't happen. So enjoy your space while you can.

2. Community bathrooms are not that scary... unless you forget your flip flops. NEVER go barefoot in bathrooms.. or halls.. or even your own room sometimes. You just don't take the chance.

3. Be wary of dining halls. Yes, some are buffet style. Yes, there is an amazing array of food to try. and YES, you will gain weight if you eat five plates a day. Sadly, this is not the magical land of food that keeps you skinny. I'm still waiting for a culinary student to come up with that one!

4. College kids do sleep. A lot. Before I left for school, I really imagined getting no sleep all the time due to roommates and noisy halls and no quiet time. Now, I admit I go to sleep pretty late sometimes. But during the day, it is like naps are a required class for us kids. I will always nap at least once a day and look forward to my 3 hour snoozes.

5. Money does not grow on trees. Or in your parent's wallets. So don't over due it. Around my school, theres a lot of nice places to because it is in a city environment. However, money goes quickly. So be careful and limit yourself to only spending money on what you need. Mind you, a meal plan isn't there for nothing.

6. Go to class. SO many students slack in college due to the thought of freedom and pure laziness. Keep in mind, you pay a heck of a lot of money for those classes. If you don't go to class, don't expect a good grade. Simple as that.

7. College does not stand for party 24/7.. unless you really want it too. I am not a huge party goer myself and there are a ton of other kids just like me, who would rather stay in and play food scrabble (keep in mind, culinary college) than go out and get crazy every night.

8. Lastly, as much advice as a person, book, or other source gives you about college, you will never know the true experience until you are there yourself. So don't get caught up in other people's horror stories or crazy advice. Cause even though I have had my crazy (horror) stories too, it won't happen to everyone. Be grateful for that and go in with an open mind.

Thats it guys. All the basic rumors that I remember fearing in college. Before I left, I would spend days flipping through college guides from random writers who went to college probably a decade ago and then try to tell you advice from what they remember. Some of it was totally false. And a majority was common sense. I just remember fearing the worst and freaking myself out for no reason. At the end of the day, college is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment