Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012- So Trendy

Happy New Year everyone! As I sit in bed with my tea and try to recover from a hectic weekend and a lovely cold to start up the year, I thought it would be a perfect time to keep up with one of my new years resolutions..this blog of course.

So I thought to relate to the new year, I would touch upon the new trends in culinary that are supposedly coming about in the upcoming year.

There was an article I read from one of my chefs that stated a BIG trend happening in the future is the spread of healthy choice foods for kids. Now, I already thought that was a big theme going on? No? All I hear about in schools and restaurants are the portion control and healthy options for children to eat. New trend? I don't think so.

Second would be using sustainable and homegrown veggies and ingredients in restaurants. Now, I do believe this will be a big trend starting up for all levels of food industries, not just the more expensive cuisine settings.I already heard of restaurants with their own gardens attached to the restaurant with fresh vegetables and herbs grown right there. It seems all about the generation of fresh choices in food. I totally agree and support this trend if it becomes big because I think using foods that are pesticide free and safe from added chemicals and handling are the best for our bodies. What really weighs my decision to go into a nutrition degree in school would be the fact that I think nutrition is the new idea that our population is slowly embracing and becoming supporters of. I am excited to see the new changes to food options with this trend.

Another trend.. a ridiculous one I heard actually.. would be comfort food. THATS A TREND? I'm sorry, but no. Comfort food is like a staple in our society. Let's get real. If anything, comfort food is being replaced by new unique foods like Asian and Peruvian inspired foods.

Jewish Cuisine. A trend predicted in the upcoming year. Who woulda thunk? Now, I like my Jewish food like latkes and matzoh balls but for some reason, I really don't see gafilta fish making a big hit on menus. Ever. But we shall see.

Lastly, the one which makes me laugh, is the trend of... grilled cheese. Yes. I didn't see that one coming either. Crazy right? I always think of "trends" as general ideas for the future. I did read some trends about specific foods like burgers, pizza, pickles. Yupp, all trends. But the grilled cheese one made me laugh. So simple but so trendy! Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment